Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Hours: Full time
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Ultromics is an innovative start-up imaging diagnostics company spun out of the University of Oxford. Ultromics is an inter-disciplinary team, setting new standards for diagnostic imaging solutions powered by artificial intelligence for cardiovascular disease. We have developed an echocardiography analysis platform called EchoGo, that aims to reduce diagnostic errors by 75%, which would significantly increase accuracy for diagnosing coronary artery disease in one of the most widely used diagnostic tests. The company has raised £12 million to take this technology to market in the US and UK.
We are seeking a Solutions Architect to join our clinical operations team. The Ultromics clinical platform is primarily cloud-based and is the delivery mechanism for our EchoGo technology. We prefer to use high-quality managed services for the “common” requirements of our platform (compute, storage, etc.) but we also develop software to orchestrate the various services in our platform and provide a seamless user experience.
The Solutions Architect will take on the responsibility for the overall design of the various services in use and lead on the buy versus build decisions that affect clinical operations. They will directly manage a software developer in the clinical operations area and will work closely with the customer solutions / integrations team based in the United States.
We use a privacy-by-design approach for the development of new systems, but we operate in the healthcare sector, so security remains a primary requirement. We are not building a traditional healthcare IT platform in which security tends to be a perimeter concern; it is built into every application we deploy.
As well as integrating with customers for the purpose of providing ultrasound-based services, we also take in data related to clinical trials as part of our ongoing research and development efforts. In some cases, customers will send us data on both a commercial and research basis. The solutions architect will need to address the common needs for data management as well as the divergent requirements in terms of handling that data.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the existing repository of architectural documentation, and ensuring that it is well disseminated within the Ultromics teams in both UK and US
- Work with the connectivity team to understand current and near-future customer requirements and address those robustly within the current environment
- Work with the product development team to understand medium and long-term customer requirements, and align the work within operations to appropriate strategy
- Address the differing data management system needs within the business, including commercial customer data and research data associated with clinical trials
- Develop assets (documentation, presentations and other artefacts) which are readily usable in a customer context to explain the functionality, capability, performance, and security of our architecture
- This list of duties is not exhaustive and the post holder may be asked to carry out other duties through discussion with their line manager.
- Cloud software architecture, basic knowledge of main providers (Azure, AWS)
- Strong IP network skills (demonstrable understanding of routing, IPSEC/encapsulated networking, software-defined networks)
- Excellent written, verbal and graphic/diagramming skills
- Strong appreciation of information security requirements and different approaches used to assure privacy
- Clear eye for the detail and an ability to engage with technical topics
- Structured approach to software architecture (e.g. C4)
- Technical appreciation/understanding of RESTful APIs and non-relational data storage
- Experience in the healthcare sector in general (imaging experience, including DICOM, would be extremely valuable)
- Exposure to integration challenges in large enterprises
- Experience of designing event-driven message passing systems
- Demonstrable examples of mapping tactical technology decisions to longer-term strategic aims
- Experience of formal information security management systems (ISO 27001, HITRUST)
- Experience of typical integration applications and associating scripting languages
The successful candidate in this role will be an acknowledged subject matter expert in this field and will be a pivotal colleague to the Operations team. They will evangelize the technology choices being made in operations to the rest of the business, and will be able to operate at multiple levels: while most of the work will take place at a systems-level, this individual will be equally comfortable giving the bird’s eye view to the board as they are engaging with developers.
Crucially, the Solutions Architect will be a key decision maker and senior technologist within the operations area. There will not be other technical staff to hand off the “detail” work to – this person will need to be comfortable with the technical nitty-gritty. They will be capable of reasoning about the behavior of complex software systems from mental models.
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates. Entry into employment and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each particular post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
If you’re selected for an interview and have special requirements due to a disability please let us know so that we can make any necessary adjustments.
Information Security Compliance
By applying for this position you are confirming that you will read, understand and comply with the Company’s Information Security Policies if you are hired for this role.
How to Apply
Fill in the form below, making sure you attach the following:
1) Your CV
2) A document detailing how you meet the role requirements and explaining why you are applying for the role.
Fields marked * are required.